Saturday, 22 September 2012
Told you , that was this girl birthday fall on Aug , normally I would just do a cake I would love to bake and bless the birthday person. However , occasionally I would ask the person what kind you would like to have for your birthday celebration. Most of the people would say any cake will do. This girl happen to be one that happily share with you her idea of a cake :) Her first choice was Green Tea Matcha Cake ~~ honestly I do not know will I able to bake that cake. 2nd was Black Forest Cake. I was thinking to bake her a Strawberry Mirror Cake.
Well if I do gave the birthday gal a choice I would like to do what they prefer if I can manage it.Hence voi la here is the Black Forest Cake !!
I have look through quite a number of recipe for this classic beauty.That was so many of variety of style , way to deco, how to cream it and even the chocolate cake base . I want to have something simple and yummy . I always believe simplicity is beauty. When I share a recipe I wish people can easily get it and wont feel dishearted to try out. I started baking by following recipe that is 4 step and 6 ingredients type. It really help to boost my confident in baking being an amature.
This cake is not that difficult in fact that is really lot of recipe for this cake that is easy and simple to follow. I modify from 2 my love food blogger. So hopefully this will be one that you feel is easy to attempt :
Recipe Sharing as below :
Adapt from ->Chocolate Hidden Banana Cake ( Table for 2 or more)
99gm cocoa powder
150g Dark Chocolate ( Melted using double boiler style)
110gm all purpose flour
110gm cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp sodium bicarbonate
1/8 tsp salt
6 large egg yolks
162gm corn oil
½ tsp vanilla extract.
6 large egg whites
20g Cocoa Powder
1.. Preheat your oven at 175C. I did mine at 160C. Line a 8 inch round cake mould
2. Combine all purpose flour, cake flour, cocoa powder,baking powder, sodium bicarb, sugar and salt.Whisk it.
3 Combine melted chocolate with egg york well and add in oil beat in medium speed for 1 minute.
4. Put in vanilla and beat for a few seconds.
6. Put in half the dry ingredients (2) and beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Put in the balance and beat on high speed for 1 minute.
7. Put in egg whites and whisk on high speed for 2 minutes.
8. Pour batter into round mould.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean
10. Leave cake to cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan to cool down completely on cooling rack.
11. Carefully cut the cake in 3 slices
As for the Cherry layer I adapt from another famous food blogger -> Joyofbaking
1 can of 680g Cherries
12 stalk of fresh Cherries
2 tbsp of corn flour plus 1tbsp of water
2 tbsp of Sherry ( Kirsch) - I do not have kirsch so used Sherry
500ml Pouring Cream (whipped)
1.Place a metal bowl in freezer for whipping cream
2.Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid. Place the cherries in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp of Sherry. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
3.Place the reserve cherry syrup in a small saucepan , put in sugar and heat till the sugar has dissolved and pour in the cornflour.Let it cool.
4.Take out the metal bowl from freezer and pour the cream in and beat it till stiff soft peak.
Assemble the cake :
1. Put the bottom layer of chocolate cake on smooth surface mat, brush the cherries liquid as (2) on the cake. Soak it as much as your cake to be moist.Cover with a layer of whip cream. Top with a handful of cherries. Spread it evenly.
2. Put the 2nd layer of the chocolate cake on top. Repeat the same process
3. As all 3 layer has been assemble, on top of the 3rd layer brush with the cherries liquid and cover the whole cake with cream.
4. Deco as you like it. You can put some shave chocolate in the middle and place fresh cherry on top of the cake as you want it to be.
The surprise of the birthday gal face is really worth the effort of going through all this process.
Again the cake is moist and the fresh cherry is refreshing
Give this a try , or you may even find another easy way of doing this classic beauty.