July is a month full of celebration :) I get to know my beloved husband during my holidays in Australia back in 2006. Honestly when you met some new friends you probably won't purposely remember when was the date or time you know each other. We can remember this special date is because I was on holidays and now this has become another special day to celebrate .
We met one another through a friend during my trip in Australia. Yes, our story is kind of romantic which not only happen in movie. Occassionaly I do believe movie does reflect real life story. As a believer of Christ we do not think this is by co-incident rather GOD has HIS way in our life.
To celebrate our 6th year annivesary of knowing one another , I got this heart shape mould to want to bake something special for ourself. Often I will bake for other people special moments and not so for myself . I have decided from now onwards I am going to do it for my family too .
Is winter time and strawberry is in season. It has been my thought to want to know how is a Japanses Strawberry Shortcake taste like. Looking through recipe from the net, and search from the my favourite blogger -> Table for 2 or more so here is the recipe adapt from her site :
120 gm. cake flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
50 gm. sugar
50 gm. melted butter
50 gm. cornoil
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
4 egg whites
65 gm. castor sugar
300 gm. whipped cream
10 strawberries (diced)
10 strawberries - thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. instant strawberry jelly + 2 Tbsp. boiling water - for glazing fruit ( I did not have strawberry jelly and substitute with 1Tbsp of sugar disolve in 1 Tbsp of hot water)
(1) For cake: Sieve cake flour, baking powder and 50 gm. of sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
(2) Mix egg yolk, butter and cornoil together and then pour into flour mixture and stir till smooth.
(3) Whisk egg white till slightly frothy, then pour in 65 gm. sugar gradually and whisk till medium peak.
(4) Fold egg white with egg yolk mixture and then pour into a 8" Square tray and bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 45 mins. or till cooked.
(5) Leave cake to cool on wire rack and then slice cake into 3 slices.
(6) Whip up the whipping cream and then spread whipped cream onto each layer and sprinkle diced strawberries on top. Repeat till the last layer of sponge cake. Spread the cake on top with whipped cream. Arrange sliced strawberries on top overlapping one another.
(7) Mix instant strawberry jelly with boiling water then brush it over the sliced strawberries.
(8) Chill before slicing and serve.
Note : The mould I am using is 2 small heart shape mould, I actually used another square mould to bake the reminder of the cake mixture for other baking
The cake is soft and I love the combination of cream and strawberry. My hubby love it so much he ate it slowly just to enjoy it . The original plan was to get a bigger heart shape mould , well isnt it always happen in such a way when you look for it you cant find it but when you do not need it , it will always right infront of you. I am happy with the small cake so we can finished it at one serve and not overeating.