Was quite relax till this month work started and all get a little bit of crazy. Still remember those good old days when I only have to wake up and think of what to cook and enjoy the afternoon breeze with GOD , look forward for the return of hubby after work at night.
Often when I think of sweet simply dessert at night. Creme Caramel is the one will never fail and easy to prepare. It can be a warm sweet dessert at winter night or it can be a chill sweet at summer night. I have this sweet prepare the other night before my work life started again and I have no such relax mood to do dessert or bake almost every forth nightly. It is quite scary to keep baking and eat so much of sweet at night. Thank GOD before me and hubby turn into a "fat" happy couple my work get me back to the track. Still baking but not as often as I should not :p.
The recipe for this Creme Caramel is as below , I used Donna Hay recipe from one of her cookbook - Modern Classic book 2 is an easy follow recipe and again the result is fabulous ..
2/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup milk
3/4 single or pouring cream
4 egg yolks extra
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 tps vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 150 C degree. Place the 2/3 cup sugar and the water in a saucepan over low heat and stir untill the sugar is dissolved. Brush the side of the pan with a little water to remove any eat sugar crystals.
2. Increase the heat and boil for 8-10 min until the syrup is in a deep golden colour. Pour into 4 x 3/4 cup capacity ramekins, Set aside for 5 min allow the caramel to set.
3. Prepare custard by placing the milk and cream in a saucepan over low heat and heat until warm.
4. Place the egg, extra egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Slowly pour over the milk mixture while whisking well to combine.
5. Strain and pour the custard over the caramel ramekins.Place the ramekins in a baking tray fill with hot water that is about three quarter of the way up the sides of ramekins.
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until the custard is set. Remove from the tray and refrigerate until cold.
7. To serve dip the base of each ramekin into hot water for 10sc , invert the creme caramel onto a plate and serve immediately. If you like it warm simply heat it up in mircowave for 10-20sc. Enjoy !
To have different favour of Creme Caramel -
- Orange creme caramel , Omit the vanilla extract and add 1tbsp orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier to the custard mixture in step 4
- Espresso creme caramel - Omit the vanilla extract and add 2 tbsp strong expresso coffee liguid or 1tbsp instant coffee granules or powder dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water to the custard mixture in step 4 above.
I am submitting this post to ->Aspiring Bakers #24 (October 2012) : Jellies & Puddings hosted by Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House