Thursday, 22 August 2013
This so call "easy " pastry - cream puff has actually take up lots of our effort and few painful attempt.Why is it painful? When the puff is not puffy and is not what you expect , all the effort go in drain..
I have not done this before. The last time when we have a home made cream puff was done by my love . After he has done the best cream puff ( according to his own judgement) , he told me this is an easy pastry that he could handle it. My oh my , when your memory play you out and you thought you are right , it turn out that is a lesson for us to learn .
So one fine day , we have some friends over for dinner . Run out of time , we want to make some desserts that is "easy" and in a short period of time, we decided to make cream puff. Little do we know , we totally forget about how the texture should be like and what the dough should be right for the whole cream puff thingie.
The pain started when incorporate the egg into the dough , without mixing in well , we put in more flour. As we knew the dough should not be so watery. Doh ! mistakes no 1. Then we cant pipe it and is like a cookies on the baking sheet. So we make another batch, the other pain started , when mix in the flour to the butter , how the texture should be? ( At the point we have not learn the problem is the egg did not incorporate well , we thought the mistakes was in the mixing of flour into the butter) . Doh ! another mistakes no 2. All in all we make 3 batches and only the last one seem to be right. Well we are not happy with the result but our guest is happily eating all the small parthtic puff. Arghhh.
Ok failure will only make us strike to get this right. Finally , after all the search and understand and realised where are mistakes was. Here is the cream puff that we both knew was RIGHT !
I am submitting this post to -> Aspiring Bakers #34: Choux Party (August 2013) hosted by Jasline of Foodie Baker .
Recipe from ->NasiLemakLover
150g flour (all purpose) + a pinch of salt
1/2tsp vanilla essence
1/4tsp baking powder
2-3 eggs (I have the egg incorporate one after one. On the last egg I have it beaten in a bowl and slowly add in to test the consistency and adjust accordingly , this seem a better way to have the better batter of the dough)
reminding egg can be used as egg wash to brush on the puff before baking
Blend Durian meat 300g
Whipping cream 200g ( beat the pouring cream till soft peak)
* mix both together and chill in the fridge
1. Mix flour, baking powder,salt and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a pot with medium heat, when butter start melting add in water and mix well.
3. Add in flour mixture quickly and vanilla essence mix well till a soft dough form and turn off the heat. The dough should be soft and shinning.
4. Set the dough aside let it cool down but not completely cool.
5. Mix in the egg one at a time and whisk the dough till the egg incorporate well.
6.Mix in another egg and continue the process. The amount of egg added in can be adjusted , the consistency we are looking for is a soft but not watery dough.
The test to use here is when you put some dough between 2 finger you can stretch it to a line and it will not break and still soft.
7. Place the dough in a pastry bag fitted with a tip. Pipe quarter-sized puffs about 1 inch apart on a baking pan line with baking paper.( I put the dough in a ziplock bag and cut a small hole at a corner , I find this a lot easy to work with )
8. Brush some egg wash on your cream puff .
9. Bake at pre-heat oven at 180C for 25mins or until golden brown.
Once the puff is done , take it out from the oven cold it and pipe in your durian cream . ENJOY !
Yes finally we got this right and the puff is yum , only good puff deserve the durian cream . ( As I told my husband , I do not want to waste my durian on lousy puff)
Hope this is a good guide for you to try out the cream puff making.
Tuesday, 20 August 2013
Another bun moment . I have my mixer replaced. Is such a shame when the mixer broke down after I make this bun . It was a gift for my last year present, apparent the model is not that powerful to handle bread dough . The mixer died half way of my making. Thank GOD, I have another old old "Kenxxxx" brand mixer to help me to finish off this bread . Since it was within the warranty period, we can get another replace. However understanding the model was not suppose to knead heavy dough I upgrade it to another higher version.
Allow me to whinge, the brand "Brexxxxx" is quite misleading, when my friends bought the mixer for me , on the manual it did show it can knead dough. Well how misleading those manufacturer can be. Just so totally not right for this whole things to happen. Ok I shall stop here, GOD will surely bless me with a KA soon :)
Come back to this lovely recipe ->Christine's Recipes. I love all her baking and cooking. The picture is neat and the instruction is very clear. Some of it come with a step to step picture and you will not missed it. The result is always good and yum.From her blog I leanrt a lot of different method of TangZhong. I am not too fuss on the name but I do know there will give variety of result , one just need to know what is your preferences.
So here is the result of this “65°C湯種麵包” by Yvonne Chen 陳郁芬. I will leave with you to read on her blog where she explain the TangZhong and how to mix in variety of different bread.
I used her recipe to do this Bacon and Cheese Bun. Of course sharing is loving , so this bread has been share with my love friends and they all enjoy it as breakkie.
50gm Bread Flour
250 ml Water ( I used 50/50 milk and water portion as mention in her recipe)
(I double up the version of the recipe to make more buns)
700gm Bread Flour
90gm Caster Sugar ( original recipe is 110g I always reduce my sugar)
2 Tsp Salt
112g Eggs ( 2 large eggs)
14g milk powder ( I did not have milk powder so I did not put )
250g TangZhong ( all the above)
12g Instant Yeast
60g Butter ( cut into small pieces)
Fillings : ( as per your own preference)
80 - 100g Cheese
1. Mix flour in water well until no lumps. Place in a sauce pan cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently with a whisk to prevent from burning and sticking while cooking.
2. The mixture will eventually become thicker and thicker . Once some lines appear in the mixture for every stroke you make with the whisk, the tangzhong is done.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to a clean bowl. Cover with cling wrap sticking onto the surface of tangzhong to prevent for drying up. Let it cool , this can be used straight away once it cool down to room temperature.
I cooked this one night before and stored in the fridge , the next day while preparing my bread I have this took out from the fridge and let it get back to room temperature before using.
Making Bread :
( I used standing mixer to knead my dough )
1. Place all the wet ingredient in the mixing bowl including the tangzhong except the butter.
2. Put in all the dry ingredient Bread flour, sugar, salt , milk powder ( if you used it ) in the wet ingredients. Make a well in the dry ingredient and have the instant yeast place in. And start to knead the dough with a dough mixer. Start off with lower power till all ingredient well combine it might take about 10mins.
3. Once the dough is in dough shape and gluten has developed, put in the butter for continue kneading. At this stage the power of the mixer can be increase and combine to knead till the dough is smooth and when you stretch the dough it will forms a thing "membrane" or pass through the window pane test.
4.Knead the whole big dough into a ball shape. Place in a greased metal bowl and cover with cling wrap . Let it proof till double its' size . It takes about 1hour. ( I have mine place in an oven with a cup of hot water, this help the proofing better and faster)
5.Transfer the 1st proof bread in a clean floured surface. ( I do notice this bread is more sticky than usual) Deflate and divide the dough into each 70g portion. Knead into ball shapes and cover with cling wrap and have it rest for another 15 -20 min
6. Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling ping into a oval shape. Sprinkle bacon and cheese evenly as much as your liking. Then roll once again and have the seals face down. ( I have it shape in different shape)
7. Arrange the rolled-up dough in a greased/ line on baking paper. Leave it for 2nd round of proofing , it takes about 40-45 min, until the dough rises up to 75% of the original size.
8. Preheat oven to 175C. Brush the surface of the bread with egg wash. Bake in the oven for 30-40min. It depend on the shape of the bread you making , if you put the bread in the tin it will take longer time.
9. Once is done, transfer the freshly bake to wire rack and let it cool completely.
We have the bread while it still warm , is hard to resist the smell of bread when is warm and the aroma is full in your house. The reminding can be kept in airtight container.
Indeed this bread still very very soft even after 3-4 days. I guess the cheese does help to maintain the softness in the bread. And is the best bread by far I love from my own baking. If you love bread , I guess this can be a good basis dough and from there you can make it to any other filling of your bread. Well, try this out and happy "bunning " :)
Wednesday, 7 August 2013
So when I come by this recipe with the word chiffon , it is hard not to draw my attention . The pink is so beautiful and it just so suit for a gal afternoon tea and brighten one day . Instead of doing the -> Strawberry Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes. I change it to Raspberry Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes. The pink is more red on my version and of course this must go in a pink cupcake mold.
So below are the recipe I used and adapt from the original link ( as above)
I made 9 cupcake for my mold size
3 egg Large ( separate yolk and white)
30g vegetable oil
70g cake flour
25g Sugar ( beating with the white)
100g pouring cream
60g raspberry puree ( I used frozen raspberry and blend it to puree)
1. Pre heat oven to 170C degree
2. Line baking paper on baking tray
3.Whisk the egg yolk and sugar till pale with a hand whisk.
4.Pour in vegetable oil and milk combine well
5.Sift in cake flour, combine well and put aside.
6.Beat egg white with hand held mixer till foamy and add in sugar gradually and continue to beat till soft peak.
7. Fold in egg white to egg yolk mixture in 3 portion .
8. Scoop the batter into the cupcake mold about 90% full,
9. Bake for 20-25 min ( I put in lower rack , depend on how your oven function )
10. Beat the pouring cream in a cold metal bowl with hand held mixer till soft peak form.( I add 1Tbsp of caster sugar in as raspberry can be quite sour)
11. Add in the raspberry puree and combine well. Chill the raspberry cream in fridge and used it when cupcake has cool down .
12. Once cupcake is done and cool down. Pipe the raspberry cream in and decorate with fresh raspberry .
13. Put in an air tight container and refrigerated before serve.
I make this for myself. Love the color and the soft texture of the chiffon cupcake. I share this with one of my best family in Australia as an appreciation of their care and love for us all time.
It was so so refreshing the cream and the cake is soft. Taste is super yum. My love one seeing this beautiful cake can not resist and have some too . Is hard not to share when he is your love one.
And yes the cream is basically overflow and we think we stuff in too much for the first few. However it all goes well to our tummy :) Again another healthy cake , the size is small and it contain fruit ^^.
Simple good dessert for a peaceful night. Try this , is simple and impressive. Honestly who will resist a beautiful cupcake .
Thursday, 1 August 2013
It just make you feel so great when people like what you are doing and appreciate the work of your hand . I have a friend who love my cake and place an order for someone birthday celebration . Not too sure what exactly they will love , is always best to use the ingredient that is fresh or in the season.
Yes is winter in Australia. How different is it when we have winter in the middle of year and the rest is summer hot hot . Since is winter we will have all the great berry fruits . I asked my friend what fruit she preferred , strawberry or blueberry. She choose strawberry as her daughter love that fruit. I always touch by the heart of a mother, as I knew blueberry is my friend's favourite.
So this is the beautiful cake that I have make and I follow the recipe from ->Table for 2 Strawberry Yogurt Cake
3 layer of Sponge cake ( I used my sponge cake recipe ->Lychee Lime Yogurt Mousse Cake
( I used a 6" round cake mold)
600gm Strawberry yogurt (original recipe is 500g , mine is a 3 layer cake)
200gm Whipping cream (Pouring cream) ( + 50g of whipping cream on decoration )
1 3/4 Tbsp of Gelatin
1. Put water in a bowl , sprinkle gelatin on top . Let it bloom and heat up in microwave for 30sc or let it sit in a bowl of hot water to dissolve the gelatin.
2. Beat the pouring cream with hand held mixer in a cold metal bowl till soft peak.
3. Fold in the whipping cream in the strawberry yogurt ,combine it well.Sprinkle the gelatin in and incorporate it well to the yogurt cream mixture.
Assemble the cake :
1. Place one piece of the sponge cake in the 7" spring foam cake mold.
2. Pour in 1/3 of the yogurt mixture in . Smooth the surface.
3. Place second piece of sponge cake on top of the yogurt mixture.
4. Pour in another 1/3 of the yogurt mixture in smooth the surface.
5. Place the last piece of sponge cake on the top of the yogurt mixture .
6. Pour in all the yogurt mixture and smooth the surface well . As this will be the top of your cake.
Let it chill in fridge at least 4 hours or overnight.
Carefully dislocate the cake from the springfoam mold . And decorate with strawberry on top.
I have asked my friend to take a picture of the cake and see how was the cake like . The picture is not very clear as was taken outside . But the layer is quite to my satisfaction .
All the girls love the cake and I would say this cake is definitely healthy is YOGURT !!! It just make you feel good to have some dairy in your dessert.
Try it out yourself , your friend will sure enjoy this cake as much as you do .