Friday, 17 August 2012
My 1st Swiss Roll attempt. I have heard is an easy to make cake, and the taste is fantastic. I am quite daunting to make Swiss Roll , and why ? Am not sure do I know how to roll the cake nicely and will it break. Will it be firm as a roll or it will just turn out flat. As the cake is bake in a flat rectangle pan , overbake will break the cake and can not roll it at all. Hence this is a brave move for myself in my baking journey.
Thank GOD it turn out well and err I didnt roll the cake myself. I have my beloved to roll this cake , as he is good in rolling sushi and often his hand is firmer than mine. Sometime when it come to baking we have to be confident, even in the movement . It need to be done in one roll without pausing. So here is the 1st attempt of our swissroll.
I used the recipe from one of the lady who bake a lot and her swissroll seem easy to follow
- > Happy Flour Green Tea Swissroll.
I did not use red bean as filling , as my belove does not like red bean at all. Strawberry is in season so is nice to whip up the cream and diced some strawberry and here we have a lovely filling with the green tea swiss roll
60g caster sugar
65g cake flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1tsp green tea powder
1tbsp hot milk
35g veg. oil
few drop of green food colouring ( I didnt use this the green tea powder is good enough)
150g whipping cream (whipped)
100g Strawberry diced
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Dissolve green tea powder with hot milk, add in few drops of green food colouring and leave it aside.
3. Use a cake mixer to whisk the eggs, salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Shift the cake flour and baking powder into the cake batter in 3 portions and fold in.
5. Mix milk mixture and oil together and fold in lightly into the batter until well combined.
7. Spread batter in a lined and greased 10" x 13" tray.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 10mins.
9. Remove cake from tray immediately and cool on a rack.
Assemble the cake:
1. Carefully transfer the cake onto a greaseproof paper with the skin facing up.
2. Spread whipped cream on the cake and sprinkle diced strawberry .
3. Gently roll the cake by using the paper to lift the cake and guide roll.
4. Rest the roll in the fridge to stabilize it shape.
5. Remove, slice and serve.
I would say the green tea powder I used suppose to be good quality however the result is not as what I expected. The cake is nice and moist but lack of green tea favour. The taste of the strawberry cream , beloved simply love it. Another thing to take note is , leave the cake to cold is easy to fold and the cream will not melt . I love this swiss roll and how easy it turn out, I did a few of it will share some of the recipe next round.
We finished the cake within 2 days and share with friends who come and visit us. Yes all my cake has to be share with friends. Is just my way of saying I appreciate them and wanted to show them my thought in my baking.
Wednesday, 8 August 2012
Voila.. Is winter in Australia now. Is strawberry session. How can I not take the opportunity to bake up something with strawberry.
Strawberry is in season it mean the price is cheaper and the fruit is big and juicy.Strawbeey is good at eating fresh , coat with choclate and best for cake too. I has been "studying" this recipe for awhile. Was planning to bake this cake for one of the friend as a birthday cake . Thinking it might impress her and make her day. It seem a bit of work in making this cake so to avoid any fail , I plan to have a pre run before the actual day. So this is the result of my baking .
Yup the top is not really mirror effect. Sigh ! Sigh! How can I call a mirror cake when is clouded on the top! Arghh I really scream out loud when I saw what I did. Ok , I guess I did not wait long for the cream to set and pour in the syrup so it get melted and floating in the jelly . Sigh... tsk tsk..
Ok enough of whinging . here is the recipe I used from my favourite blogger ->Table for 2 or more
Recipe sharing as below :
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1 pinch cream of tartar
1 tbsp sugar
50gm sifted cake flour
Moisting syrup:- mix and cool down.
50ml hot water
1 tsbp sugar
Strawberry Bavarian Cream:-
1 ½ tbsp unflavored gelatin
150 gm fresh strawberries + strained strawberries from preparing the mirror.(pureed)
2 egg yolks
180 ml milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
200ml whipping cream
250 gm fresh strawberries
150 gm sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
Assembling the cake.
1. Prepare cake. Place trimmed cake onto a 10 x 10 jelly roll pan. Put in the freezer.
2. Prepare strawberry juice.
3. Prepare bavarian cream.
4. Moisten cake with moisting sugar syrup and pour bavarian cream onto cake. Level the cream. Put in the fridge to set.
5. Prepare strawberry mirror and when mirror mixture has turned syrupy pour onto the bavarian cream layer. Place cake in the fridge to set.
1. Preheat oven to 180/200C. Line a 10 X10 inch jelly roll pan. -> I used a square 8" pan
2. Beat eggs whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks, then add in 1 tbsp of sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until creamy, pale and light. Beat in vanilla.
4. Sift cake flour. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
5. Stir in 1/3 of beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
6. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
7. When cake has cooled, remove baking paper, trim cake so that cake will have an even surface and remove the brown upper skin. Cover and place in freezer.
1. Puree strawberries and sprinkle in gelatine powder. Stir it until the gelatine is well blended in well with the puree.
2. Whip egg yolks and sugar until pale and light.
3. Bring milk to a boil and pour in 1/4 of the milk into the egg yolk mixture while still beating with a mixer. Pour in the rest of the milk slowly. Mix well.
4. Return this mixture to the fire and cook with a low fire, stirring constantly, until your finger leaves a clear trail in sauce when drawn across the back of the spoon.(Do not boil or mixture will curdle.)
5. Immediately remove from heat and stir in strawberry mixture.
6. Pour into a stainless steel bowl and place over a bowl of ice water. Stir in lemon juice. Stir once a while to prevent the sides from solidifying.
7. While waiting for the strawberry custard mixture to cool down, whip whipping cream to soft peaks. Do not overbeat!!
8. When strawberry gelatin mixture has cooled and thickened to the consistency of softly whipped cream, fold whipped cream into strawberry custard mixture.
**I prepare strawberry juice(step 1-3) in advance because I `recycle' the strained strawberry pulp from the juice into the bavarian cream.
1. Chop strawberries into large chunks.
2. Place strawberries, sugar and water into a saucepan. Lightly press the strawberries to release juice. Bring to a boil.
3. Strain the juice with a strainer and don't press the fruits at this point.
** this step to be done only after bavarian cream has set on the cake.
4. Bring the strawberry juice that was prepared earlier to a boil. Remove from fire. Sprinkle in gelatine powder and stir to ensure the gelatine has melted.
5. Put in lemon juice. Stir. Wait for it to cool down and turn syrupy.
Note : The list is long but it does not take that long to do it , I did that at night. Probably not good for myself. After a long day work , I felt tire and it really take out the patience of me.
I did this another time by doing it in a cupcake form with another type of cake ( will post the recipe soon ) , is very successful . I gave it to my friends they all love it !
However this will not be cake I bake for the birthday gal . Why ? Because it seem fail ?? No.. is because she want something else. Ha quite difficult to please when you start to give people a choice. Maybe next time should not ask just bring whatever cake that turn out well. NowI need to search for that cake recipe and hope it turn out well ..
Wednesday, 1 August 2012
This is another birthday cake for a beautiful new mom . She gave birth to a beautiful baby gal early this year. I think all woman especially mom deserve all special treat in their special day.
Am wondering what to bake for her . When it come to cake is always individual preference. Some love a soft moist cake , some love dense mud cake style. To me is always the soft moist cake I yield for .I knew she love blueberry , yet I do not want to bake a blueberry muffin ( as it seem the easiest for me to follow) for her as a birthday cake. So searching through recipe , I have to adapt some recipe and come out with this ->Blueberry CreamCheese Cake .
The recipe was modify and adapt from ->Table for 2 or more.
Orange Sponge Cake
5 egg yolks
35gm vegetable oil
35gm orange juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
70gm cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven at 160(fan)/180C. Prepare an 7 inch square pan. Line the base only.
2. Prepare yolk batter. Combine all the wet ingredients + sugar + lemon zest. Sift cake flour + baking powder together and combine with everything until a smooth batter forms.
3. Prepare meringue. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks and beat in sugar gradually until stiff peaks form (hooked peak).
4. Prepare final batter. Fold ¼ of meringue into yolk batter until well combined. Repeat with another ¼. Pour the yolk batter into remaining meringue and fold until well combined (Fold not stir and it should look very foamy). Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let the cake totally cool before removing cake from pan. (If it’s a springform pan, you can skip lining the base and then invert the pan to cool for better volume)
6. Slice cake into 3 slices and fill with blueberry creamcheese(recipe below) and chilled at least 2 hour before serve
Note :For this cake I only used 2 layer ,I freeze 1 layer and used it for other cake .
2 Tbsp Lemom Juice
Prepare the blueberry compote. Cook blueberries with water and sugar until they bleed. Lightly mash it with a fork. Let it cool down to warm and press the blueberries through a sieve to remove the skin. Mix the sieved compote with lemon juice, it will turn reddish. Discard the skins in the sieve.
250g Cream Cheese
300g Pouring Cream 150g Blueberrie ( for topping on each layer of the cake)
1. Freeze a mixing bowl in a freezer
2. Pour water into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle gelatin over.
3. Let it sit for awhile so that the gelatin granules will bloom. Heat bowl over hot pan of water let it dissolve.
4. Remove bowl from freezer, beat cream until soft peak . Transfer cream to a bowl and set aside in fridge.
5.With the same bowl beat cream cheese add bluerries compose a tbsp at a time until all combine & cream cheese till is smooth
6. Fold the whipped cream into cheese mixture.
7. With melted gelatin on your left and the cream chesse mixture on your right , sprinkle the gelatin into the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Assembly the cake
1. Spread the cream chesse on each layer of the cake.
2. Top with blueberries on each layer of the cream
2. After spreading equally cream cheese on each layer of the cake , the reminding cream cheese spread even on the cake surface. Decorate cake to your liking.
I must admit I didnt do the decorate smoothly, however the combination of Orange Sponge and the Blueberry Cream Cheese is so yummy. All the friends love it and of course so is the birthday gal. I might do this cake again when an opportunity come by.