This is another birthday cake for a beautiful new mom . She gave birth to a beautiful baby gal early this year. I think all woman especially mom deserve all special treat in their special day.
Am wondering what to bake for her . When it come to cake is always individual preference. Some love a soft moist cake , some love dense mud cake style. To me is always the soft moist cake I yield for .I knew she love blueberry , yet I do not want to bake a blueberry muffin ( as it seem the easiest for me to follow) for her as a birthday cake. So searching through recipe , I have to adapt some recipe and come out with this ->Blueberry CreamCheese Cake .
The recipe was modify and adapt from ->Table for 2 or more.
Orange Sponge Cake
5 egg yolks
35gm vegetable oil
35gm orange juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
70gm cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven at 160(fan)/180C. Prepare an 7 inch square pan. Line the base only.
2. Prepare yolk batter. Combine all the wet ingredients + sugar + lemon zest. Sift cake flour + baking powder together and combine with everything until a smooth batter forms.
3. Prepare meringue. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks and beat in sugar gradually until stiff peaks form (hooked peak).
4. Prepare final batter. Fold ¼ of meringue into yolk batter until well combined. Repeat with another ¼. Pour the yolk batter into remaining meringue and fold until well combined (Fold not stir and it should look very foamy). Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let the cake totally cool before removing cake from pan. (If it’s a springform pan, you can skip lining the base and then invert the pan to cool for better volume)
6. Slice cake into 3 slices and fill with blueberry creamcheese(recipe below) and chilled at least 2 hour before serve
Note :For this cake I only used 2 layer ,I freeze 1 layer and used it for other cake .
2 Tbsp Lemom Juice
Prepare the blueberry compote. Cook blueberries with water and sugar until they bleed. Lightly mash it with a fork. Let it cool down to warm and press the blueberries through a sieve to remove the skin. Mix the sieved compote with lemon juice, it will turn reddish. Discard the skins in the sieve.
250g Cream Cheese
300g Pouring Cream 150g Blueberrie ( for topping on each layer of the cake)
1. Freeze a mixing bowl in a freezer
2. Pour water into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle gelatin over.
3. Let it sit for awhile so that the gelatin granules will bloom. Heat bowl over hot pan of water let it dissolve.
4. Remove bowl from freezer, beat cream until soft peak . Transfer cream to a bowl and set aside in fridge.
5.With the same bowl beat cream cheese add bluerries compose a tbsp at a time until all combine & cream cheese till is smooth
6. Fold the whipped cream into cheese mixture.
7. With melted gelatin on your left and the cream chesse mixture on your right , sprinkle the gelatin into the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Assembly the cake
1. Spread the cream chesse on each layer of the cake.
2. Top with blueberries on each layer of the cream
2. After spreading equally cream cheese on each layer of the cake , the reminding cream cheese spread even on the cake surface. Decorate cake to your liking.
I must admit I didnt do the decorate smoothly, however the combination of Orange Sponge and the Blueberry Cream Cheese is so yummy. All the friends love it and of course so is the birthday gal. I might do this cake again when an opportunity come by.