Thursday, 23 April 2015
This is the 2nd bake for this Chiffon Cake . The first one was bake with cutting off chocolate chip from a chuck of chocolate. On this 2nd bake I am using chocolate chips. I found that using chocolate chip in chiffon cake , the chocolate chips seem to sink into the bottom of the cake and not inside the cake itself. However using cut fine chocolate , it will give a lighter and better effect of having chocolate in the cake itself.
I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone April 2015 Event Theme: Fun with Almonds by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-host by Doreen of My Favourite Little DIY
Using almond meal in the recipe has create a chiffon cake full of almond fragrance and the cake texture is a lot softer and not spongy.
The recipe is adapt from a Japanes translate to chinese cakebook - 自已作职人配方戚风蛋糕。
For 20"(6 Eggs) or 23" (7 Eggs) Chiffon Cake Mold
7 Egg Yolks
90ml Vegetable Oil
100ml Warm Milk
140g Almond Meal
70g Chocolate Chip
7 Egg White
100g Caster Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 165C
2. Place the egg yolks in the mixing bowls, pour in vegetable oil and warm milk . Mix till combine.
3. Shift the almond meal into the egg yolks mixture. Whisk till all well combine.
4. Whisk the egg whites to foamy and add in caster sugar gradually and beat till stiff peak.
5. Gently fold in egg white mixture into egg yolk batter in 3 seperate additions until well combined.
6. Sprinkle the chocolate chop into the cake mixture and lightly stir in the cake.
7. Pour the batter into the chiffon cake mold. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45min.
8.When the cake is out from the oven , invert pan immediately to cool completely before unmold.
The cake is very soft and I love the fragrance of almond in the cake. This is definitely a very healthy chiffon cake beside the chocolate chip. You can replace the chocolate chip with 40g roasted almond chip to have a total almond chiffon cake .
Hope you can give this recipe a try .
Thursday, 9 April 2015
During my pregnancy, I can not take any sweet , as my taste bud just does not like sweet at all. I was always tire and can not do much baking. At time I can not even look at any dessert picture. It will make me want to puke. However by chance I come across this recipe -> AncooJournal Magic Custard Cake. What attract me is the 3 different texture in one cake. I wonder how it will taste when you have 3 texture - cake, custard and the bottom chewy dough .
Interesting part of pregnancy is , once you give birth . Whatever was weird then , will get back to the normal self. When I finally found the time and got my "normal" taste bud back , I can not help but to try on baking this cake.
Recipe as below :
113 g Butter
4 Eggs , separated egg white from egg yolks ( 70g each egg including shell)
1 Tbsp of caster sugar
115g Plain Flour
150g Icing Sugar ( I used 120g)
1 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp of Orange Zest
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 160 C fan . Line a 8"x8 " (20cmx20cm) Square cake pan all sides up . I used a removable square pan .
2. Melt the butter and set aside for slight cool. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside.
3. Whisk egg yolks with icing sugar using hand held mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the melted butter and 1 Tbsp of water until evenly incorporated ( about 2 min).
4. Mix in the flour until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the lukewarm milk and vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
5. Whisk the egg whites to foamy and add 1 Tbsp of caster sugar into it, whisk till stiff peak.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the egg white into the flour mixture in step # 4 with spatula. Repeat until all the egg whites are folded in. The mixture will seem cuddled is normal.
7.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60min ( my oven is 50min) or until the surface is golden.
8. Once bake , take the cake out from pan let it cool and chilled in fridge before serve.
I bake this cake twice. The first time I bake it was for our church life group gathering. The response was so good, I only manage to get one piece to try out. So the week after that, I bake another one for me and my beloved. Ok we did indulge ourselve with sweet now and then. At time it can be tire in adjusting our new role as parent. We need to pamper ourselve.
I did not manage to take a good picture of the cake. The layer does not seem to obvious in the picture. I love the texture of the cake , it has the soft cake in 1st layer, soft custard cream on 2nd layer and the chewy part at the bottom. I enjoy soft cake and my beloved love any creamy cake. So this cake suit both of our taste.
Give it a try if you want something different in one cake.