Simple Delights

Sunday 7 October 2012

Yam (TARO) paste SwissRoll



One the night that I just want some simple and fast cake SwissRoll has been my choice of cake now :) Simply love the easy way of preparing the cake and it can be enjoyed after 1 hour of baking that just suit into the night I want a light cake but do not want to hassle too much on baking.

Beside Pandan, Palm Sugar,Coconut Cream , my another love ingredient is Yam or Taro. Some relate it as purple sweet potato (I do not quite agree with this as that is a sweet potato that is purple ). My choice of SwissRoll in a bakery shop is always Pandan SwissRoll or Yam SwissRoll. Well I can not get this 2 flavours of SwissRoll here. The only solution is to make for myself . Here is my attempt and I would say the recipe is easy to follow for the cake as for the yam paste I adapt from another recipe and change it to my liking and simply like the fragrance of the yam and creaminess that I input in it.

Orange Chiffon Cake :
(adapt from ->Baking Library)

Ingredients :
80g egg yolks, room temperature ( about 4 eggs)
25g castor sugar
2tbs + 1 tsp corn oil
2tbs + 1 tsp  milk
75g cake flour
160g egg whites
60g castor sugar
35g Orange Zest


Method :
1. Preheat Oven to 180 C and line tin with baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl ,whisk the egg yolks, sugar , oil, orange zest and milk until combine. Sift in cake flour to the egg yolk mixture and mix until smooth and well combined
3. In a metal bowl, beat eggs whites with low speed as egg whites turn frothy, slowly increase the speed to medium and beat egg whits till soft peaks. Add in sugar in 3 portion. Continue to beat egg whites till stiff and moist with shiny form. Be careful not to over beat the egg white as it might be too dry or may water out.
4. Fold one third of beaten egg white with a spatula into egg yolk mixture to lighten and mix well. Incorporate another one third of the white and fold in well. Add in the rest of the egg white and fold gently in the egg yolk to obtain a smooth uniformly coloured foamy batter. Ensure all the batter is well mixed , by scraping the sides and bottom of bowl with spatula.
5. Pour the batter into a 10x12 inch tin lined swiss roll tin.Level the batter and bake for 10-15 min. Start checking for doneness at 10min. Cake is done when inserted toothpick come out clean. Allow sheet cake to cool.


Yam (Taro) paste :
(Adapt ->My Alternative Career)

Ingredients:
500g Taro
70g sugar
40g unsalted butter (melted)
150g pouring cream(whipped)
50g coconut milk (add a pinch of salt in it)


Method:
1. Freeze a metal bowl in freezer
2. Peel the taro and cut into small cubes
3. Steam the taro on high for about 30min, or till is soft and easy to mash.
4. When taro is done, mash it till fine add in melted butter , sugar and coconut milk . Mixed well  and set aside.
5. Take out the metal bowl from freezer,whipped the cream in it till stiff creamy .
6. Mix the whipped cream in the taro mixture till well combine.

Assemble the cake:
1. Carefully transfer the cake onto a greaseproof paper with the skin facing up.
2. Spread  taro paste on the cake and smooth it well
3. Gently roll the cake by using the paper to lift the cake and guide roll.
4. Rest the roll in the fridge to stabilize it shape.
5. Remove, slice and serve.

I simply love the soft orange cake  that combine with this creamy taro paste. I have 3/4 of the cake by myself over 3 days. My hubby love this cake but knowing how much I love it he just has to sacrifice his portion . 
If you are a yam lover tried this out , never expect yam and cream work so well .


I also did a yam cake chiffon cake for this swissroll on another day. However is not easy to incorporate the yam paste in the cake and the effect is not as smooth as this orange chiffon cake. I personally love the combination of the orange chiffon cake and yam paste. If you like to try out the yam cake recipe is in the yam paste link I adapt .



1 comment:

  1. this looks amazingly spongy and delish! shall gif this a shot when i get back. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...