Is always good to bake for the birthday people and see a smile on their face. I baked this cake at end of February for all the February babes in our group.This is my first attempt on baking a square layered cake and decorating it. Err I would say nope not as professional as those who has bake for few years.For a 1st timer I would give myself a pat on my shoulder. The birthday gal love it so nobody should complain about it :)
The cake has 3 layered and I also make a Hazelnut chocolate ganache cream to combine the cake and a chocolate cream to pour on top. The taste is yum and the texture is soft which is why most of my friends love it. I used dark chocolate for this whole cake it just make the cake taste just nice and not too sweet.
As this is a recipe I got it from a magazine I can not link it to any website , I would just share the recipe as below :
Hazelnut Chocolate layer Cake
5 eggs yolks
40g caster sugar( it can be reduced)
100g cake flour
20g ground almond ( I do not have ground almond I used ground hazelnut)
80g melted butter
Ingredients B :
5 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Combine ingredient A and mix well
2. Put ingredient B into a mixing bowl and whisk until still. Slowly add in mixture in step 1 and mix well. Pour the mixture into a lined 8" square mould.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 23-25 min till cooked. Remove from oven . Unmould the cake and leave to cool. Cut the cake into 3 layers
Hazelnut chocolate ganache :
100g cream cheese
50g ground hazelnuts
200g whipped cream (whipped pouring cream or any cream)
200g cooking chocolate melted ( melt on top of hot water)
1 tbsp rum ( optional)
80ml pouring cream
50g cooking chocolate , cut into small chunks
1. Combine cream cheese and ground hazelnuts mix until well . Slowly mix in whipped cream and lastly add in melted chocolate and rum . This is the cream to combine the layer of the cake.
2. Heat the pouring cream in a double boiler. Add in cooking chocolate and stir until melted. This can be prepared only when the cake has set and pour onto as chocolate cream.
To assemble :
1. Place a slice of cake onto the cake board. Apply hazelnut chocolate ganache onto the cake
2. Repeat the same way till the last layer is covered with the chocolate ganache .
3. Put in the fridge to allow it to set firm .
4. Lastly pour the chocolate mix over the cake for decoration. Chill in the fridge at least an hour before decorate and serving.
This is how the layer looks like :)