Simple Delights

Monday 12 March 2012

Malaysia HoneyComb Cake or Ant's Nest Cake



We were invited by a newly wed couple to their place for dinner last Monday. It was such a pleasant to see these young couple come together in marriage after overcoming all the hurdle in their relationship journey.
The husband is a Malaysia who are so blessed to marry a beautiful Korean lady. She often curious about my cooking and would ask me is this Malaysia cuisine or is Chinese . When they invited us over for dinner I promise to bring a dessert , I started to wonder what can I bring that will have Malaysia identity in it. As I have make a Pandan Chiffon cake for her before I wanted to try out something totally different.

I almost forget about this cake and as a matter of fact I do not know what this cake was call. It take me awhile to google it and find out the recipe I would love to try on. Not many recipes seem to be the right one I am looking for , however after spending some time of searching I found one that I think should be the right one and get started to bake this cake. Yup I bake the cake, I knew originally this cake was more likely a steam cake. So I modify my baking method and steam bake this cake. The result was fabulous. The cake remind the "chewy" texture yet more moist and soft .

So if you remember this cake and would like to give it a try here is the recipe link ->HoneyComb - Kueh Sarang Semut. Just be caution when adding water to the hot caramel sugar. The recipe is by far the most safer one I would say. The result is great and not only the Korean love it , it also rekindle my hubby memory of this cake as well .


The cake earn its name - Ant's Nest cake by having hole on the texture and do not worry it is not as sweet as it is even the sugar contain is relatively high. The cake is best go with a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. I simply love the texture and the chewiness of it . Is a bliss to manage to get the right recipe and enjoy the result at a lazy afternoon :)

So just in case I lost the link one day I would love to share the recipe as below which is from the link ->

For the recipe: (make a 9" cake)

250g sugar
250 ml of water

100g butter
250g plain flour
160 - 180g condensed milk
6 large eggs (beaten)
1-1/2 tsp bicarb. or baking soda

Method:

  1. Tin size: 9" or 23- 24 cm round tin. If you use a spring form or loose bottom tin, line the whole tin with paper, please refer to the slide show. Don't just line the bottom the mixture will leak. If you use a cake tin without a loose bottom you can line just the bottom with paper.
  2. In a small saucepan, add in sugar and heat at medium heat till the sugar begin to melt. Stir once or twice with one single chopstick (don't use wooden spoon, too much area for the sugar to cool and crystallise), once the melted sugar has turned golden yellow, turn the heat to very low and continue heating till the sugar turns golden brown like dark tea, ( see slide show in the link). Heat off and let it cool for 30 seconds. Then add one tbsp of water at a time, stand back the hot sugar will spit. Continue adding water one tbsp at a time till it stops sizzle, then pour in the rest of water. Turn heat on for about 1 minute, stir and scrape the side to release any unmelted sugar. Heat off and add the butter stir till melted.
  3. In a large mixing bowl add in the plain flour, pour in about 1/2 the liquid and mix with a electric beater till smooth, continue adding the liquid till all combine in. Let the mixture stand for about 10 - 15 minutes.
  4. Add in the egg, condensed milk and sieve in the bicarb, mix till all combined.
  5. Pour the mixture into the tin. Leave it to stand in the cold oven for about 30 - 40 minutes.
  6. Turn the oven to 150 deg C and bake the cake from cold for 1 hour or till it is cooked by sticking a  stick in the centre and it comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...