Simple Delights

Thursday 14 May 2015

Black forest cake ( La forêt noire )



A completely different Black Forest Cake. I came pass this cake recipe years ago. I do bookmark as a cake I must do when I have an opportunity.

April month was full of celebration. One of the special day was my beloved birthday. I did not bake him any cake last year, during my pregnancy I was so put off by any sweet . So I can not make any baking. This year I promise him I will do a special cake for him. So what does he expect from the cake ? He love chocolate and want something creamy. So this is the right cake!!

So this recipe that I have bookmark from my favourite blogger ->DailyDelicious Black Forest Cake
is the best choice for this event. 
Ingredients : 

Basic Chocolate Sponge cake 

85g Egg Yolks ( 4 eggs)
25g Caster Sugar
45g Vegetable Oil
45g Milk
60g Cake Flour
25g Chocolate Powder - mixed in the cake flour above

170g Egg White ( 4 eggs)
85g Caster Sugar  ( I reduce to 60g)

Method:


1.  Mixed egg yolks and 25g caster sugar with hand whisk till is combine .
2.  Mixed the oil and milk together combine well. Pour into the egg yolks mixture and whisk well,
3.  Sift the cake flour mixture into the egg yolks mixture and combine till no lump.
4.  Preheat oven till 160C.
5.  Used electric mixer beat the egg white till foamy and gradually add in the sugar. Beat the egg white till peak foam .
6. Fold 1/3 of the egg white into the flour mixture combine well and continue to fold the egg white in 2 batches into the flour mixture , till all combine well.
7. Pour into the rectangle mold and bake for 15mins or baked. When the sponge cake was cold , cut into 2 pieces of square cake that fit into 6" loose base square mold.

 Simple Syrup ( original recipe is Kirsch syrup )

120g Sugar
100g Hot Water
15ml Brandy ( original recipe used Kirsch)
 -> I actually used the juice from the can of pitted cherry.


Chocolate Cream

80g Dark Chocolate Chopped
2 Egg Yolks
15g Caster Sugar
85g Full Cream Milk
100g Whipping Cream ( pouring cream)
-> Next time I would add some gelatin in it to have it more firm(1 Tbsp of gelatin + 1 1/2 Tbsp of water to bloom it)


(Kirsch) Brandy Flavor Whipping Cream

2g Gelatin ( will change to 1Tbsp gelatin + 1 1/2 water to bloom it )
1 Tsp of Vanilla paste
280g Whipping Cream
20g Caster Sugar
10-20g Brandy or Kirsch

Chocolate Whipped Cream
30g Dark Chocoalte chopped
130g Whipping Cream

-> Melt chocolate , and put the 35ml whipping cream into it and mixed. Pour the mixture into the remaining cream and beat till soft peak. Chilled in fridge .


Decoration

Chocolate Shave
Cocoa Powder

1 can of pitted cherry or fresh cherry (pitted)

Method :

Make Chocolate Cream

1. Beat the yolks and sugar till well combine. Boil milk and pour the hot milk over the yolk mixture and whisk all the time.
2. When all milk mix into the yolk. Pour the mixture in sauce pan and heat on low heat until 80C
3. P;ace a sieve over the chopped chocolate. When the egg mixture is ready, have the mixture slowly pour onto the chopped chocolate through the sieve.
4. Wait for 1 min and stir till the chocolate is all melted and let it cool to room temperature.
5. Beat the whipping cream till soft peack, spoon 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture , fold to combine and pour the chocolate mixture back into the whipped cream and fold to combine.

Put 1 piece of the chocolate sponge cake in the 6" square mold sprinkle with syrup . Pour the chocolate cream over the sponge and refrigerated for 2 hours until firm.
Drained the cheery and place the cherries over the chocolate cream.

Make Kirsch flavor whipping cream.

1. Place 80ml whipping cream in a small saucepan with vanilla paste and sugar. Bring it to boil and put the gelatin into the cream and still till melt. Let it cold to room temperature
2. When the cream is cold mix in the kirsch ( brandy) and the rest of the cream whip till soft peak.

Spread the cream over the cherries sponge and place the other pieces of chocolate sponge cake on top. Sprinkle with syrup and refrigerate until firm . I did overnight.

Before serving , decorate the cake with chocolate whipped cream , chocolate shave and cocoa powder.




As I did not drained the cherries enough , my chocolate cream part was really melting when I unmold my cake. I have to freeze the cake to have it come out nice.

If I make this again , will put some gelatin in the cake or use fresh cherries I think would be better.

My husband love this cake to the bits . I promise nobody will share his cake , so basically he has this whole cake himself. I knew he enjoy it lots.











No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...